[OS X TeX] TeXShop typesetting and macro questions

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Tue Oct 3 10:07:20 EDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 5:59 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.10.2006 um 20:52 schrieb Chris Goedde:
>
>> What am I not understanding?
>
> That the (UNIX) link to a binary acts like the binary itself. Just
> as the Mac links (in Dock) do.

No, I understand that.

This contradicts what you wrote before:

> Second, TeXShop uses "engines" (little tcsh scripts) to *tex a
> document.

My understanding (which is what I originally wrote) is that TeXShop
is calling pdfetex directly (or via a symlink)  and with the --shell-
escape option when I typeset something, and that no engine or shell
script is involved. (I'm talking about the default setup, and using
pdftex, not tex+dvips+gs here.) As far as I can see, that's true. If
there's a shell script involved, where is it, and what's its name?

My original question stands: Is there a way to write an applescript
macro in TeXShop to pass the "-jobname NAME" option to pdfetex? I
want to do this on a per-document basis, so hard-coding something
into a preference or shell script won't do it. Does anyone know if
this can be done, or how to do it?

--
Chris