[OS X TeX] TeXShop typesetting and macro questions

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Tue Oct 3 13:00:07 EDT 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> The simple default commands like latex or pdflatex are just built-
> in into TeXShop and are being executed by creating a sub-process in
> which the programme (command) runs. (The same could be done for
> xetex/xelatex, too). Anything that deviates from these standard
> items can be solved by using an engine – and you can "bind" a
> source file to a particular engine or standard TeX command. I put
> these two things together since they are basically the same, a sub-
> process in which something UNIXy runs. And simpdftex, too, falls
> into this category.

OK, so maybe I can do what I need to do via an engine. So now I have
another question. Can I tell TeXShop which engine to use via an
applescript macro? If I've defined MyEngine.engine (so that MyEngine
shows up in TeXShop), can I tell TeXShop to use this engine via an
applescript macro?

Here's the effect I'm trying to achieve. Let's say I'm editing
foo.tex. I want to be able to have a keyboard shortcut (let's say cmd-
shft-t) that gets TeXShop to tex foo.tex via MyEngine.engine rather
than the currently selected engine. This engine actually executes
"pdflatex -jobname foo-draft.tex foo.tex", which has the effect of
creating "foo-draft.pdf" rather than "foo.pdf" (among other things).
I then want TeXShop to preview foo-draft.pdf rather than foo.pdf.

I think I can do all that via an applescript + my own engine,
assuming I can select an engine via an applescript, but maybe there's
another way or an easier way? Any pointers or suggestions greatly
appreciated.

--
Chris