[OS X TeX] OT: Backup software

Adam M. Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 10 00:18:13 EDT 2006

Alain Schremmer wrote:
> This is OT.
>
> I dutifully backup with Retrospect, say every hour, but just now I
> needed one of yesterdays versions of one of the over 10000 files that
> make up the Magnum Opus. And I couldn't get Retrospect to cough-up the
> file even when given the path name. Of course, I know a Retrospect
> "expert" who will get me the file but I am fed up.
>
> I just spent over an hour googling for backup software (over FireWire
> or Ethernet) to an external hard drive and, most important, one that
> is idiot-proof.
>
> SuperDuper ($27.95) ,  Data Backup ($49),  Intego ($70) all appear
> reasonable but of course they each claim to be the best. The only Open
> Source I found was on the terminal so that ruled it out.
>
> I would very much appreciate any suggestion.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

I've used SuperDuper to create bootable clones---as others have pointed
out, this may not be what you want. Like some of the others that have
replied, I also back up my home directory whenever I start and stop
work, on a small portable drive. For this, I use a script I wrote
myself. This script uses rsync.

Anyhow, you will have to look at the SuperDuper documentation to see if
you can get it to make daily incremental copies, but I can vouch for its
ease of use and reliability.

I hope you tell everyone what you came up with as a solution in the end.

-Adam G.