[OS X TeX] OT: Backup software

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Tue Oct 10 05:56:59 EDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> This is OT.
>
> I dutifully backup with Retrospect, say every hour, but just now I
> needed one of yesterdays versions of one of the over 10000 files
> that make up the Magnum Opus. And I couldn't get Retrospect to
> cough-up the file even when given the path name. Of course, I know
> a Retrospect "expert" who will get me the file but I am fed up.
>
> I just spent over an hour googling for backup software (over
> FireWire or Ethernet) to an external hard drive and, most
> important, one that is idiot-proof.
>
> SuperDuper ($27.95) ,  Data Backup ($49),  Intego ($70) all appear
> reasonable but of course they each claim to be the best. The only
> Open Source I found was on the terminal so that ruled it out.
>
> I would very much appreciate any suggestion.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

I've been limping along with Retrospect too, and I share your
frustration.  I have always been able to restore files when
necessary, but it has always been more work than seems necessary.
Each release seems to get slower too!

Personally, I'm waiting for Time Machine <http://
www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003885&pageNumber=1>.  If you
haven't seen the WWDC demo of it, take a look.  It's impressive.

Rick