[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 15:35:52 EDT 2006

Alain Schremmer wrote:
  > I am surprised MS Word didn't trash it.

Oh, believe me, it tried! The worst problem was when I foolishly
'upgraded' from Word 2000 to Word 2002 - I ran into a lovely problem
where it trashed all of my paragraph styles by appending multiple
instances of the word 'char' to them: I had 'body text', 'body text
char', 'body text char char' and so on. Accidentally discovering Office
Service Pack 2 fixed that little nightmare, but not after far too much
hair pulling.

Oh, and don't get me started on Word's list handling.  Why on earth can
it not avoid messing up list numbering?

At least with LaTeX the hair pulling comes in trying to discover how to
change the font of the page number on the first page of a chapter in the
Memoir class - nothing that destroys your work and you can always live
with the problem for a while. Once Word gets its claws in it's too late.

At least working with Word instilled a rigorous backup mentality in me!

Cheers

Paul
--
____________________________________
Dr P. Vickers BSc PhD CEng MIEE ILTM

School of Computing, Engineering, & Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Pandon Building, Camden Street
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE2 1XE

Tel +44 (0)191 243-7614
Fax +44 (0)870 133-9127
e-mail: paul.vickers at northumbria.ac.uk
web: www.paulvickers.com/northumbria

Northumbria University.

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please
that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may
be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed
to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be
liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.