[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:28:16 EDT 2006

Paul Vickers wrote:

> Alain Schremmer wrote:
> > I am surprised MS Word didn't trash it.
>
> Oh, believe me, it tried! The worst problem was when I foolishly
> 'upgraded' from Word 2000 to Word 2002 - I ran into a lovely problem
> where it trashed all of my paragraph styles by appending multiple
> instances of the word 'char' to them: I had 'body text', 'body text
> char', 'body text char char' and so on. Accidentally discovering
> Office Service Pack 2 fixed that little nightmare, but not after far
> too much hair pulling.

Indeed, now I recall that something like that happened to me when I
upgraded—so to speak—from whatever to x (2001) which is why, even before
LaTeX got into the picture, I swore that I would keep x (2001) on the
mac I was using then and hope I would die before it. But I never found
out about any service pack and so the nightmare was not a "little" one.

> Oh, and don't get me started on Word's list handling. Why on earth can
> it not avoid messing up list numbering?

I /still/ have documents with lists numbered along the lines of 1, ‡, 3,
delta, %, 6, @

> At least with LaTeX the hair pulling comes in trying to discover how
> to change the font of the page number on the first page of a chapter
> in the Memoir class - nothing that destroys your work and you can
> always live with the problem for a while.

I am sticking with book and whatever font comes with the most basic
installation and … this list. So, the little hair I have left stays.

> At least working with Word instilled a rigorous backup mentality in me!

Same here.

Regards
--schremmer