[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 02:45:08 EDT 2006

The Service Pack was for the Windows version - I used my XP box for the
book project. I've found Word for the Mac to be even worse (if that were
possible).

Paul

Alain Schremmer wrote:
> Paul Vickers wrote:
>
>> Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> > I am surprised MS Word didn't trash it.
>>
>> Oh, believe me, it tried! The worst problem was when I foolishly
>> 'upgraded' from Word 2000 to Word 2002 - I ran into a lovely problem
>> where it trashed all of my paragraph styles by appending multiple
>> instances of the word 'char' to them: I had 'body text', 'body text
>> char', 'body text char char' and so on. Accidentally discovering
>> Office Service Pack 2 fixed that little nightmare, but not after far
>> too much hair pulling.
>
> Indeed, now I recall that something like that happened to me when I
> upgraded—so to speak—from whatever to x (2001) which is why, even before
> LaTeX got into the picture, I swore that I would keep x (2001) on the
> mac I was using then and hope I would die before it. But I never found
> out about any service pack and so the nightmare was not a "little" one.
>
>> Oh, and don't get me started on Word's list handling. Why on earth can
>> it not avoid messing up list numbering?
>
> I /still/ have documents with lists numbered along the lines of 1, ‡, 3,
> delta, %, 6, @
>
>> At least with LaTeX the hair pulling comes in trying to discover how
>> to change the font of the page number on the first page of a chapter
>> in the Memoir class - nothing that destroys your work and you can
>> always live with the problem for a while.
>
> I am sticking with book and whatever font comes with the most basic
> installation and … this list. So, the little hair I have left stays.
>
>> At least working with Word instilled a rigorous backup mentality in me!
>
> Same here.
>
> :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

____________________________________
Dr P. Vickers BSc PhD CEng MIEE ILTM
Reader in Human-Computer Interaction

School of Computing, Engineering, & Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Pandon Building, Camden Street
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE2 1XE

Tel +44 (0)191 243-7614
Fax +44 (0)870 133-9127
e-mail: paul.vickers at northumbria.ac.uk
web: www.paulvickers.com/northumbria

Northumbria University.

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please
that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may
be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed
to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be
liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.