[OS X TeX] Request re testing of TeX Live i-Package

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 28 15:19:21 EDT 2006

On 28 Oct 2006, at 2:18 pm, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2006, at 19:20 , Frank STENGEL wrote:
>> By the way (I gather these question are TeXLive specific)
>> -- Why the xu- prefixes for the various hyphenation files?
>
> XeTeX wrappers for the underllying hyphenation files.

Indeed. To explain a little more: many of the existing pattern files
are tied to particular (non-Unicode) font encodings, and will behave
incorrectly (or fail entirely) if loaded as Unicode by xetex.
Therefore, they are provided with "xu-" wrappers that test whether
the engine is xetex, and if so, reconfigure character codes as
necessary. For non-xetex engines, the wrappers do nothing.

>> -- Why the change in the order the hyphenation files are given?

Does it matter? There's no reason to expect the set of hyphenation
files or their order to remain unchanged from one release to the
next, let alone from one distribution to another. (There will be
differences between TL2005 and TL2006, for example.)

JK