[OS X TeX] Request re testing of TeX Live i-Package

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Sat Oct 28 16:50:34 EDT 2006

Le 28 oct. 06 à 21:19, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 28 Oct 2006, at 2:18 pm, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> On 28 Oct 2006, at 19:20 , Frank STENGEL wrote:
>>> By the way (I gather these question are TeXLive specific)
>>> -- Why the xu- prefixes for the various hyphenation files?
>>
>> XeTeX wrappers for the underllying hyphenation files.
>
> Indeed. To explain a little more: many of the existing pattern
> files are tied to particular (non-Unicode) font encodings, and will
> behave incorrectly (or fail entirely) if loaded as Unicode by
> xetex. Therefore, they are provided with "xu-" wrappers that test
> whether the engine is xetex, and if so, reconfigure character codes
> as necessary. For non-xetex engines, the wrappers do nothing.

Right. I should have tried looking at the hyphenation files/wrappers
to understand what was different.

>>> -- Why the change in the order the hyphenation files are given?
>
> Does it matter? There's no reason to expect the set of hyphenation
> files or their order to remain unchanged from one release to the
> next, let alone from one distribution to another. (There will be
> differences between TL2005 and TL2006, for example.)

I does not matter at all, I was just being nosy. To be honest, I was
just surprised that *all* hyphenation patterns were selected, and
looking for the ones I wanted to keep was a bit (yes, I am lazy ;-))
lengthy...

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)