[OS X TeX] Can't Print Some Maths?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 18:41:28 EST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 13:38 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> When I compile the following code the pdf file looks fine (the wide
> symbols show just fine) in TeXShop, Preview and even Adobe Reader.
> When I print it, whether on my Canon i850 (ink jet) or Brother
> HL-5250DN (monochrome laser) printers the symbols don't print. Do
> others see this too?

I don't know that it is printer-specific, but printing to a Canon
iP5000 inkjet:
   \widering{} prints as only the 'ring', no arc;
   \widearc and \wide0arc do not print.

FWIW, the console and system logs often contain useful information
when things don't work as you expect.  Here's what the system log
shows for me:

Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: ********* Bad Font Detected *********
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: 	Error while processing font:
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: 		Font ID = 66075
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: 	in the font file:
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: 		"".
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/
ATSServer: Remove this font file or replace it with a new version.
Oct 30 15:34:15 Zippo /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/

Not being a font maven, I don't know what to do with this, but maybe
it will mean something to those in the know.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large