[OS X TeX] Inclusion of TIFF files

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Sep 6 17:25:47 EDT 2006

Hi Bruno,

On 07/09/2006, at 12:53 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 6 sept. 06 à 15:45, Gerben Wierda a écrit :
>
>>> However, some of the EPS figures are huge (~ 50 MB each -- no thanks
>>> Mathematica

> While attempting to fulfil yesterday the publisher's requests for
> EPS files, suddenly the situation became much better: each EPS file
> takes "only" about 5 minutes to save from Illustrator -- the size
> remains the same though. It seems the default color space of
> Mathematica EPS files is CMYK, while that of Illustrator 10 EPS
> files was RGB. Whether that was significant or not -- whether
> Illustrator had to perform some conversion from one color space to
> the other when saving files -- is uncertain; in any case, setting
> the color mode of the Illustrator file to CMYK and then converting
> its content to grey scale is what causes the reduced saving time.

Have you tried using  eps2eps  (a wrapper for Ghostscript).

Here's what the  man  page says:

NAME
        eps2eps - Ghostscript Encapsulated PostScript "distiller"

SYNOPSIS
        eps2eps [ options ] input.eps output.eps

DESCRIPTION
        eps2eps   uses   gs(1)  to  convert  Encapsulated  PostScript
(tm)  file
        "input.eps" to simpler and (usually) faster Encapsulated
PostScript  in
        "output.eps".  Normally the output is allowed to use
PostScript Level 2
        constructs, but the -dLanguageLevel=1 option restricts  the
output  to
        Level 1.

        Use  eps2eps only for Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files;
for ordinary
        PostScript (PS) files, use ps2ps.

FILES
        Run "gs -h" to find the location of Ghostscript
documentation  on  your
        system, from which you can get more details.

I'm not sure whether this removes objects that are hidden,
or just translates every polygon into lower-level primitives.
In any case, the rendering should become much faster.

> Bruno

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au