[OS X TeX] Optimized PDFs?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:20:33 EDT 2006

On 9/11/06, stephenmoye at cox.net <stephenmoye at cox.net> wrote:
> I recently took a look at a variety of PDFs produced from TeXShop. I found that for the various ways of producing a pdf (TeX and Ghostscript, pdfTeX and XeTeX) that the PDF output is not optimized. I bring this up because we have found that a wide variety of browsers (using plugins to display PDFs directly in a browser window) on both Windows and Linux boxes have problems displaying non-optimized PDFs --  generally not displaying the PDF . As soon as the PDFs are optimized they display without a problem. Files that have been produced using Quartz PDFContext are in the majority of problem files.
>

> Is there anyway for TeXShop to optimize the PDFs that it produces?
>
> Thanks for any information.

Let's note that TeXShop produces nothing. It calls different programs
(say pdflatex) and so on. So, the question becomes: can pdflatex (or
gs) produce optimized pdf files and how to call them to do this? I
suspect that in pdftex list you will have much better chance to get
the answer.

I know that pdftex-1.40 is close to final release but I am not sure if
it will bring these features. Also pdftex-1.30.6 seems to be the
latest stable and gs-8.54