[OS X TeX] Re: Editors: Advantages and disadvantages

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:35:57 EDT 2006

Luis Sequeira wrote:

>> Schremmer wrote:
>>
>> For what it's worth:
>>
>> I am running TeXShop 1.43 under 10.3.9 on a 1GHz Power PC G4.
>> The part of the Magnum Opus I am currently working on includes 10
>> chapters for a total of 209 pages, probably a hundred or more
>> (small) pddf figure.
>>
>> It typesets in about 30 seconds which is fine by me since the
>> alternative is about $2000.
>>
>> But, indeed, if you make a change in one chapter, TeXShop goes through
>> the whole thing which is why I usually typeset each chapter as needed.
>> The way I do it is having a main file, e.g. Book.tex with just the
>> include chapters e.g.
>>
>> \include{../EDITchap/2}
>>
>> each of which starts with:
>>
>> %!TEX root = ../PRINTchap/2.tex
>>
>> while the file PRINTchap/2 has only
>>
>> \include{../EDITchap/2}
>>
>> so that if click on either EDITchap/2 or PRINTchap/2 just that chapter
>> gets typeset while if I click on Book.tex the whole book gets typeset.
>

> Or, of course, you could use the "standard" procedure for this sort of
> situation: in your main file - say, Book.tex, as above -
> have \include{...} for each chapter, and put in the preamble the
> command \includeonly, e.g.,
>
> \includeonly{chap2,chap4}

I hadn't thought of that and I will play with it (see parenthetical note
below)

> and change this as you need; this way, you get some very imporant (to
> my mind) benefits: the page numbers are respected

I agree that I don't cope with that very well: What I do for that is to
have in the file PRINTchap/2

    \addtocounter{page}{72}%where 72 is the last page of chap/1
    \addtocounter{chapter}{1}

but that requires of course that chap/1 not change for the duration.

What I do in fact is to have both Book and EDITchap/2 open and anytime I
typeset EDITchap/2, I also typeset Book which takes longer than and
leaves me with EDITchap/2 to work with. I use Book to find out how I
dealt with something or the other in Chapter 1. That it works is all
that I can say in its favor.

But this another reason why I once asked on this list if there was a way
to invoke the name of a file in the file itself. Dyballa responded but I
still have to make my peace with his suggestion.

> , as are any cross- references, etc, since, while not typesetting
> chapter 1 on this run, LaTeX does keep and use its aux file, so it
> knows on which page chapter 2 should start, and a reference to Theorem
> 1.2.5 will still be adequately dealt with, as will be citations and
> things like that.

Again I agree but, for the time being, I have given up on cross
reference—although I am still thinking about hyperref (but why is it
hard to uninstall? This frightens me off.)

> When you want to work on a different chapter, or typeset the whole
> book, just change the \includeonly line, comment it out or remove
> altogether.

And how about if you want to typeset the chapter you are working on?

(Note: The reason I am "arguing" even though I don't think I am going to
change my current setup right now is that, when I am done with the
Magnum Opus, I am going to try to put it in a form more suitable for
putting it up on the web.)

Grateful regards
--schremmer