[OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop and BibDesk

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Sun Sep 24 12:20:51 EDT 2006

I've been watching with interest the discussion of encoding accented
characters. I write in English, but many important papers I cite have
authors whose names have accents. I'd like to know how to get this
done properly.

But for me, the bigger issue is in the sorting and searching for
their papers. For example, if I file a paper in BibDesk with the name
Sødal, then it isn't found when I search for Sodal, etc. Is there a
way to make the standard search engines broaden a search so that
searching for Sodal always includes Sødal, etc?

If I can do this in BibDesk, that is put in the name Sødal for the
paper, what encoding commands to I need to get this translated to
something that Latex won't choke on? I use cmr and Lucida fonts.

--cheers, Gordon