[OS X TeX] Is this geometry behavior correct?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Apr 6 11:46:35 EDT 2007

Am 06.04.2007 um 16:49 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>> Works!
>
> For tex + dvips, yes. Does it work for tex + other DVI drivers?

Yes. Dvipdfm complains about the dvips specials, but produces PDF in
the proper paper and text orientation. PdfTeX easily overwrites the
default dvips mode. Using dvipfm in the options list also overwrites
the dvips default. Dvipng and xdvi never complain.

>> 	1.) Create the missing directory /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
>> tex/kpsewhich
>
> BTW, it doesn't make any sense to put this in a "kpsewhich" subdir.
> You probably want it under .../tex/latex/...

No! The problem is with the strange (or new) sequence in which TeX
searches the system. If I put geometry.cfg for example into /usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/latex/geometry or, possibly more
reasonable, into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/geometry, XeTeX's
geometry.cfg is found first. (Is this a bug? And another bug seems to
be that I don't see the $TEXMF/tex/// component!)

Jonathan, you can make kpsewhich show a very detailed and hard to
read path. Making the kpsewhich part of a pipe by adding on the
command line

	 | tr : '\012'

you'll see the path components on separate lines, unsorted, i.e. the
way TeX actually searches. If you see a different behaviour, then
please mail it! Could be I made a mistake when undoing changes in
texmf.cnf ... or by invoking 'sudo texhash /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
local' ?

--
Greetings

   Pete