[OS X TeX] Is this geometry behavior correct?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 7 04:54:29 EDT 2007

On 6 Apr 2007, at 4:46 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Jonathan, you can make kpsewhich show a very detailed and hard to
> read path. Making the kpsewhich part of a pipe by adding on the
> command line
>
> 	 | tr : '\012'
>
> you'll see the path components on separate lines, unsorted, i.e.
> the way TeX actually searches.

Yes, I know. And if you run something like

   kpsewhich --show-path tex

you'll see "kpsewhich" subdirs among the paths. I guess that's why
you decided to put geometry.cfg into such a dir. However, that's
wrong, because when you actually run latex (rather than kpsewhich)
those dirs will *not* be searched with the priority that kpsewhich
showed; the current program name (latex) will be used instead.

To use kpsewhich properly, you should give it the --progname option
to ensure that you're seeing the same paths as would be used by the
real program you're interested in; for example,

   kpsewhich --progname latex --show-path tex

Then you'll see no 'kpsewhich' subdirs in the paths; instead, you'll
see 'latex' ones. *Those* paths are the ones you can use to make
sensible decisions about where to put files for latex to find them.

JK