[OS X TeX] Formatting the titles of lists

Michael Millett mjmm60 at excite.com
Thu Apr 12 22:09:59 EDT 2007

>         Here is a long paragraph ...
>         that we find in the usual sense because ...
> List1    and so, without any further need ...
>         we continue our discussion of this topic ...
>         So, please take care to ...

Yes, the above is what I mean. I should have said "vertically aligned."
> This might be handled by a package (paralist as Charilaos suggested).
I looked at the documentation for "Paralist" in "LaTeX Companion" Second
Edition, but did not find quite what I was looking for. All the
formatting here went from top to bottom, rather than providing for a
highlight to the left.

> Alternatively, define a new type of command/list environment using
>
> \begin{minipage}{}\parbox[c]{text}\hfill\parbox[c]{text}\end{minipage}

This will be a new LaTeX skill for me, and I am looking forward to
learning it.

> See page 88 of the 2nd edition of Kopka and Daly (A Guide to LaTeX)
> for a start on aligning adjoining paragraphs, especially on the tricks
> of using "empty" \mbox{} commands to get things to work.

I do not have this book. But I have noticed several times already in my
few days on the list that this is a recommended book. I bought Leslie
Lamport's book as my basic guide. I like it a lot. It just doesn't
describe some things I would like to do. And The LaTeX Companion is
often too complicated for my current LaTeX skill level.

Charilaos made reference to the difference between LaTeX and TeXShop. I
am not far enough in my experience with LaTeX to make sense of this
issue, yet. All I knew is that, if I wanted to use LaTeX on my mac, I
needed to do it using TeXShop. And that, of course, is perfectly fine
with me. I've already received many complements on the readability of a
report I produced using it.

Thank you for the responses.

Michael
Tyler TX