[OS X TeX] Formatting the titles of lists

Jeffrey J Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Wed Apr 11 09:48:26 EDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Michael Millett wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to produce itemized lists such that the
>> title of the list is aligned flush left and centered to the list.
>
> Hm, how can the title be both aligned flush left and centered to
> the list?

I think he means

		Here is a long paragraph ...
		that we find in the usual sense because ...
List1	and so, without any further need ...
		we continue our discussion of this topic ...
		So, please take care to ...

List2	Here is just one line ...

		Now, let us consider the implications of ...
List3	without having to align things ...
		Of course, this means ...

This might be handled by a package (paralist as Charilaos suggested).
Alternatively, define a new type of command/list environment using

\begin{minipage}{}\parbox[c]{text}\hfill\parbox[c]{text}\end{minipage}

See page 88 of the 2nd edition of Kopka and Daly (A Guide to LaTeX)
for a start on aligning adjoining paragraphs, especially on the
tricks of using "empty" \mbox{} commands to get things to work.

HTH

--
J. J. Weimer, Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Alabama in Huntsville, MSB 125, 301 Sparkman Dr