[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Apr 26 04:46:29 EDT 2007

Am 25.04.2007 um 21:37 schrieb Chris Goedde:

> The problem is the line:
>
> initmatrix
>
> in the original file. The redbook says the following: "There are
> few situations in which a PostScript language program should
> execute initmatrix explicitly. A page description that executes
> initmatrix usually produces incorrect results if it is embedded
> within another, composite page."

And there is a specification for EPSF (5002.EPSF_Spec) which clearly
states:

	2.4 Illegal and Restricted Operators

	There are some PostScript language operators plus statusdict and
userdict operators that are intended for system-level jobs or page
descriptions that are not appropriate in an EPS file. In addition to
all operators in statusdict and the operators in userdict for
establishing an imageable area, the following operators must not be
used in an EPS file:

	banddevice       exitserver     initmatrix      setshared
	clear            framedevice    quit            startjob
	cleardictstack   grestoreall    renderbands
	copypage         initclip       setglobal
	erasepage        initgraphics   setpagedevice

How can such a forbidden operator slip into the EPSF output? Because
the programmer cannot read?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.