[OS X TeX] Texniscope.app not working properly

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Thu Apr 26 18:49:37 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Armin Goralczyk wrote:

> 2007/4/26, M A <markoilcan at gmail.com>:
>> On 4/26/07, Armin Goralczyk <agoralczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >  Texniscope
>> If you only need to preview pdf, as your email suggests, you can try
>> PDFView http://pdfview.sourceforge.net
>>
>> Texniscope, however, works fine for me. Does it have the same problems
>> when you launch it from Terminal?
>
> Trying to launch from terminal texniscope behaves the same, i.e. it
> launches but the document is not displayed. When I try to open the
> document from within texniscope it gives the message:
> The document tabellen.pdf could not be opened.

I had quite a few cases of similar problems when trying to preview
<file>.pdf from within emacs with TeXShop. In all those cases, the
<file>.tex had dvips dependences, i.e. I used simpdftex latex (latex +
dvips + ps2pdf). It would typeset ok, but trying to View the <file>.pdf
with "open %o" ("open -a /Applications/TeXShop.app %s") only would launch
TeXShop without <file>.pdf displayed.

It got it somehow solved by opening <file>.tex in TeXShop, running
Typeset (Tex + Ghostscript) which went ok; and then, mysteriously the
problem disappeared from emacs.

> There are also no recent entries in the console logs. I havn't checked
> emacs --debug -init since it doesn' t seem to be an emacs related
> problem.

I also could not trace the problem: May be some fonts got set up via
TeXShop. I am curious if you try this too: Typeset the file in TeXShop
(may be a couple of times), and then try again from Emacs (I use Carbon
Emacs).

Roussanka