[OS X TeX] Papers or BibDesk?

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Thu Apr 26 19:19:43 EDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

<- snip ->

> However, from what I had read here I had understood BibDesk offers
> already, for free and in a BibTeX-compatible way, the functionality
> provided by Papers. Is this statement correct (I'm not using
> Bibdesk yet)? Are there users of BibDesk and/or Papers, who could
> clarify this.

I can't address the issue of whether BibDesk is better than Papers,
since I haven't used Papers. I can say that BibDesk has many, many
features that are very, very useful. I strongly recommend it. I used
it for my thesis and also for other major bibliographic projects.
Certainly, it is easily able to file PDF's, and it integrates very
well with TeXShop and other TeX-writing tools. Its ability to sort
and search your personal bib is very powerful. It is quite good at
importing and exporting a variety of formats. You can get a preview
of your formatted reference as LaTeX would process it, something that
Papers probably doesn't do.

This was discussed recently on the BibDesk users mailing list, so you
might want to search through it for the full discussion. (Simon S.
has already posted his contribution to it in this thread.)

-Adam G.
--
Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
amgoldstein <at> mac <dot> com