[OS X TeX] Papers or BibDesk?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Apr 26 20:48:49 EDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 13:28, Bruno Voisin wrote:

[snip Papers description]

> However, from what I had read here I had understood BibDesk offers
> already, for free and in a BibTeX-compatible way, the functionality
> provided by Papers. Is this statement correct (I'm not using Bibdesk
> yet)? Are there users of BibDesk and/or Papers, who could clarify
> this.

Papers has a more full-featured PubMed search interface than BibDesk,
and is probably more intuitive in some respects.  If you're concerned
about BibTeX/LaTeX compatibility, do not use Papers at this time; use
BibDesk or JabRef to preserve your data.  If you just want to organize
and search PDF, use whichever one you like.

As a BibDesk developer, I'm obviously biased towards BibDesk.  BibDesk
has had many of the exciting features of Papers for years now (PubMed
search is a very recent feature for BibDesk, though).  It's also not
limited to PDF attachments, and a single reference can have multiple
supporting files, all of which are searchable.

regards,
Adam