[OS X TeX] Spell checker

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Apr 29 16:54:30 EDT 2007

Am 29.04.2007 um 21:50 schrieb Arthur Snoke:

> How do I get the dictionary in ispell or aspell to "learn" words?
> On Sun Solaris I can get ispell to do that, but not on the mac.
>
> [macarthur:~/Desktop] snoke% ispell -v
> @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.4)

Here you are obviously using aspell.

Both programmes have their defaults for "personal dictionaries."
Ispell uses ~/.ispell_<the dictionary>, so I have ~/.ispell_deutsch
and ~/.ispell_english. On the command line you can use -p to name a
more normal and visible file as your private dictionary. Aspell also
uses -p, its defaults are ~/.aspell.<lang>.{prepl|pws}, for example:
~/.aspell.de.prepl plus ~/.aspell.de.pws for German and
~/.aspell.english.prepl plus ~/.aspell. english.pws.

For me aspell refuses to work since a few years: Error: The file "/
usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/de-only.rws" is not in the proper format.

That's OK, I have ispell in my Emacsen!

But, what does not work for you with which aspell in which
circumstances?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."