[OS X TeX] Keyboard Shortcuts in TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Aug 14 08:45:01 EDT 2007

Le 13 août 07 à 16:28, Richard Koch a écrit :

> As to keyboard shortcuts to make fonts bigger in the Source and
> magnification bigger in Preview, I agree that the same shortcuts
> should should be used for both cases. This already happens on
> Leopard. The question is then which shortcuts to use. Preview uses
> apple-plus and apple-minus, with no shift key. TextEdit uses apple-
> plus (with a shift key) and apple-minus (with no shift key). I
> prefer the Preview choice; if you overshoot, you can move over and
> undo without changing the shift key position.

You're right, looking more closely it seems a bit of a mess
(understatement!) for the French keyboard as well.

First, the French keyboard has two keys related to zoom in/out,
namely (the two character correspond to keystrokes without and with
Shift, respectively):

= + at the place of the / ? key on the US keyboard

- _ at the place of the = + key on the US keyboard

Go figure!

Now, here's how things seem to work in Apple applications, from the
less forgiving to the more forgiving (Num means numeric keypad):

- In TextEdit:

	Apple= no effect
	Apple+ bigger

	Apple- smaller
	Apple_ no effect

	AppleNum+ bigger
	AppleNum- smaller

- In Preview:

	Apple= zoom in
	Apple+ zoom in

	Apple- zoom out
	Apple_ no effect

	AppleNum+ zoom in
	AppleNum- zoom out

- In Mail and Safari:

	Apple= bigger
	Apple+ bigger

	Apple- smaller
	Apple_ smaller

	AppleNum+ bigger
	AppleNum- smaller

I hope Leopard will bring in some consistency into this, hopefully
generalizing the behaviour of Mail and Safari (namely, not being
affected by the Shift key for these particular shortcuts).

Now, for the record, here's what I observe for TeXShop's Source
window (using Monaco 10) :

	Apple= bigger
	Apple+ no effect

	Apple- smaller
	Apple_ no effect

	AppleNum+ no effect
	AppleNum- no effect

And for the Preview window:

	Apple= no effect
	Apple+ zoom in

	Apple- no effect
	Apple_ zoom out

	AppleNum+ no effect
	AppleNum- no effect

Hope this may help find a pattern in what people observe with the
various localizations and keyboards.

Bruno Voisin