[OS X TeX] Staying up to date with programs Gerben used to maintain

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Thu Dec 13 22:38:51 EST 2007

Folks,

I'm not sure what the point of this message is,

On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:06 PM, dan at geer.org wrote:

> FWIW, MacPorts is ostensibly in Venezuela
> (and webmaster at macports.org bounces).
>
> --dan

but the guy in charge of MacPorts, Jim Berry, is a friend in Portland
and one of the smartest programmers I know. I met Juan Palacios, the
Venezuela connection mentioned above, at the Apple Developer
Conference last June; he's an enthusiastic young guy and Mac fanatic
with lots of ideas.

Both Fink and MacPorts make important contributions to the Mac world.
The TeX Distribution Preference Panel and data structure by Jerome
Laurens and Gerben Wierda that is installed by MacTeX recognizes both
Fink and MacPort's TeX distributions and can be used to switch between
them and Gerben's gwTeX or MacTeX; the only caveat is that you must
modify your PATH and add /usr/texbin before /sw/bin or /opt/local/bin
to make the pane switch command line typesetting. I've tried this and
it works fine. For example, xdvi is part of TeX Live, but with this
configuration it automatically picks up the Fink or MacPorts version
of Ghostscript to image graphics.

It would not be difficult to make a MacTeX ghostscript install package
based on 8.61, but I'd like someone else to provide clear
configuration and make instructions. Remember that Gerben provides a
universal binary of gs, and packages TWO versions, one with X11
support and one without. The current MacTeX package sets the gs link
to point to the appropriate package at installation time, as does i-
Installer.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu