[OS X TeX] Updated Latexmk for TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 17 09:32:50 EST 2007

Howdy,

After the discussion about using the index package to create multiple
indexes (should this be indices? I think that plural has a different
meaning) I decided to put some examples (that come from the index
package sample.tex document) into the configuration (rc) files used
with the TeXShop localization of latexmk. These examples of
dependencies and processing rules are commented out in the rc files so
there is no FUNCTIONAL difference from the previous version using
latexmk 3.21j; i.e., there is no need to update if you've already got
that version of latexmk. The enclosed documentation had also been
updated to note the use with the index package.

I haven't changed the name of the distribution. You can get it as
Latexmk321jTeXShop.zip from <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>.

A bit more detail:

Packages that create multiple bibliographies or indexes (particularly
the latter) either use tagged file names and standard extensions
(e.g., tag.idx for an index with local reference `tag' in source file
root.tex) or root file names and custom extensions (e.g., root.adx for
an index with local reference extension `adx' in source file
root.tex). Latexmk ``knows'' how to process files with the former
naming scheme and takes care of that automatically (e.g., the
multibib, multind and amdmidx packages) but doesn't ``know'' how to
process the files that use the latter scheme (e.g., glossary,
glossaries and index packages) so it needs some help. The dependency
added to the rc files ``tells'' latexmk to look for a certain input
extension, the output extension (so that latexmk can check to see if
processing is needed) ad the name of the processing rule it should use
to do the ``conversion.'' The processing rule (sub-routine) tells
latexmk the exact steps it needs to take to take the input and create
the output.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)