[OS X TeX] \includegraphics and Annotated PDFs

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 20 07:15:25 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Rick Zaccone wrote:

> I have a PDF file that I created by taking a screenshot of an
> application.  I opened the PDF in Preview and annotated it with an
> oval to highlight a button in the screenshot.  Then I saved the file.
> When I use \includegraphics to display this PDF, it displays
> without the annotation!  If I open the file in Preview, it shows
> the annotation.
> I tried annotating the file with Skim and got the same results.
> I am using
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> I've done this before and it worked.  Could it be Leopard?  I'm
> using 10.5.1 and TeXShop.  Does anyone know why this isn't working?

Dear Rick,

I'm pretty sure the annotation of PDFs changed between the Tiger and
Leopard versions of Preview (disclaimer: I'm not a Leopard user
yet).  I remember annotating PDFs in Tiger Preview and discovering
that the annotations are more permanent than I liked, unlike in
Acrobat Pro where you can move, edit, and delete annotations.  So I'm
guessing that Leopard Preview is more like Acrobat Pro, and the
annotation is implemented in a way that doesn't show up in other PDF
readers.  See

Have you tried the overpic package?  It makes it easy to annotate
graphics in LaTeX.

Matthew Leingang
Preceptor in Mathematics
Harvard University