[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 1 12:41:52 EST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Roberto Avanzi wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2007, at 17:55, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> Sorry to have you experiment so much.
>
> Well, I hope my adventures may help someone else too!
>
>> Try replacing the = by a space:
>>
>> --distiller "ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None"
>>
>> and if that doesn't work we'll have to think about it for a
>> while :-(.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you, but if I do this, in the console I read
>
> [...SNIP SNIP SNIP...]
> ### Saving intermediary ps file /tmp/altpdflatex.17170-1170349133/
> ml9.ps as ml9.ps
> ### ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None /tmp/altpdflatex.
> 17170-1170349133/ml9.ps /tmp/altpdflatex.17170-1170349133/ml9.pdf
> /usr/texbin/simpdftex: line 538: ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None:
> No such file or directory
> ### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.17170-1170349133/ml9.pdf ()
>
>> If you have Apple's distiller chose there might be a problem;
>> letting TeXShop use GS should not present a problem since that is
>> the default used by simpdftex.
>
> Oh yeah, that makes things even funnier.
>
> I believe that the problem is in Ghostscript (the difficulty to
> override
> page rotation presets is considered, rather euphemistically, a
> "limitation"
> in the documentation) and this automatic rotation of pages
> introduces a
> potentially non reliable pseudo-randomness that is against the
> spirit of
> a tool like gs - hence it should be removed at the root.  I edited
> ps2pdfwr at the moment, and will have to remember to do that in the
> future.
>
>  Roberto

Howdy,

Again... Sorry for taking you on this trip. I get the same error when
I add that option in that way and try to process any file using latex
+ghostscript (i.e. simpdftex latex ...). I do know, and you
confirmed, that

ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None file.ps

does the right thing, i.e., it overrides the rotation, but can't
quite figure out how to add that option to the ps2pdf13 invocation in
simpdftex. Maybe simpdftex should have another option --
distiller_option?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)