[OS X TeX] It is possible to use UCS free Unicode fonts with XeTeX (FreeSans, FreeSerif, etc)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 13 03:19:15 EST 2007

On 13 Feb 2007, at 2:12 am, Signups wrote:

> The fonts I chose to use are from the UCS free font collection,
> i.e. FreeSans, FreeSerif and FreeMono.  XeTeX *will* produce PDF
> files using these fonts, if I use the command "\font
> \freeserif=FreeSerif at 12pt".   The problem is that mktextfm
> cannot generate font metrics, and thus every time I generate the
> PDF file, it takes a good half a minute.  The log results I get are
> listed below.

Put quotes around the font name, as in

    \font\freeserif="FreeSerif" at 12pt

Reason: without quotes, it looks like a traditional \font
declaration, and xetex first looks for FreeSerif.tfm -- and then the
mktextfm machinery kicks in to try and build it. But with a quoted
name, xetex assumes you mean a "real font name" rather than a tfm file.

HTH,   JK