[OS X TeX] line break within \item of \description

Markus Bongard markus.bongard at umh.es
Tue Feb 13 11:41:13 EST 2007

gentle persons,

I volunteered to layout a small information brochure for some public
institutions using LaTeX unmatched elegance (B5-format, 2 columns).
The last part of the book includes a list of national and internal
organization related to the subject of the brochure. I decided to use
the \description-environment here, so \item is the [organization
name] followed by the related address and other communication
possibilities.  The problem is that some of these organizations have
rather long names, and declared as \item there are set always in one
line. Here is an example:

\begin{description}
\item[Asociación Castellano Leonesa de Afectados de Retinosis
Pigmentaria] …further information…
item[Asociación de Padres de Sordociegos de España (APASCIDE)
Barcelona] …further information…
.
.
\end{description}

In some cases I like to "force"a line break within the \item-
assignment *because the name will reach horizontally in the second
column on the page*, but everything I tried so far is not working.
Maybe somebody kind out here has a suggestion?
Thanks for your efforts, cheers,

Markus