[OS X TeX] Bibtex-related error with TeXLive 2006

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Tue Jan 2 05:00:59 EST 2007

I am testing the new TeXLive-2006 MacTeX package. I tried compiling a
file (main.tex) which references a bibliography file  (~/Library/
texmf/bibtex/ref.bib) and some fonts in ~/Library/texmf (Mathdesign +
URW Garamond). Just to be sure, I did a latexmk -C main (to clean all
except the source files) before compiling. My usual routine is to do
latexmk -pdf main to compile. But just to be sure I did pdflatex main
once, bibtex main once, and pdflatex main twice (or thrice) till I
got all cross-references right.

While this routine works well with gwTeX, with TeXLive-2006 I get an
error when I do the bibtex. Here is part of the output on the console.

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
The top-level auxiliary file: main.aux
The style file: alpha.bst
I couldn't open database file ref.bib
---line 86 of file main.aux
: \bibdata{ref
:             }
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
I found no database files---while reading file main.aux

The Mathdesign + URW Garamond works fine though, and it is picked up
from various places inside ~/Library/texmf.

Can anyone explain the error?

TIA,
Suresh

S P Suresh