[OS X TeX] problem with man files

Martin Stokhof M.J.B.Stokhof at uva.nl
Tue Jan 2 08:33:28 EST 2007

On 2 Jan, 2007, at 13:27, John Rawnsley wrote:

> On 2 Jan 2007, at 11:00, Martin Stokhof wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> Thanks for the help. Your shortened version gets rid of the "unable to
>> make sense" complaint, but now every time I invoke man the answer is
>> that there is no such manual entry. I checked the permissions, the
>> various man entries are all readable. Any further suggestions?
>> Thanks again,
>> Martin
>> (Btw I am running 10.3.9)
> On my 10.3.9 machine, this setup works so something is amiss in yours.
>
> Try the commands
>
> echo $PATH
> manpath
>
> and see what paths are returned.
>
> The first should give a path containing /usr/texbin
> and the second /Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Man
>
> John

John, Bruno:

I've found out what the remaining problem was: line endings. I used
BBedit to edit the manpath.config file according to John's instructions
and forgot to save it with Unix line endings. Stupid of me. Sorry for
this oversight and the resulting confusion. Everything works like a
charm now. (I haven't tested Bruno's alternative, for fear of making
another silly mistake ;-)

Thanks for your helpful replies,

Martin