[OS X TeX] How to save a complete TeX tree

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 5 05:42:06 EST 2007

Am 05.01.2007 um 01:47 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

> tar will make all paths relative, meaning that the paths are stored
> relative to usr/local/teTeX, rather than /usr etc. I would
> recommend to first change to the directory /usr/local and then
> issue the archive command:
>
> cd /usr/local/ ; tar --create --bzip2 --file=~/Desktop/Archived-
> teTeX.tar.bz2 teTeX/
>
> Extracting is then a matter of going to /usr/local, and extracting
> with, like this:
> cd /usr/local/ ; tar --extract --bzip2 --file=~/Desktop/Archived-
> teTeX.tar.bz2

That's the proper procedure: first cd to the parent directory, then
archive the child (directory)!

I checked last year the quality of the sym-links: it would work to
restore teTeX somewhere else than in /usr/local/teTeX.

Using Mac OS X applications to save the tree of UNIX files might
introduce errors. For Classic compatibility permissions could be
"widened" – tar is the best! And its bzip2 compression is hard to beat.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk:  A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of
data with
             simple mnemonic commands.