[OS X TeX] AucTeX's TeX-doc doesn't find docs after switching to gwTeX

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:25:36 EST 2007

On 1/5/07, Martin Buchmann <Martin.Buchmann at uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after getting the binaries back to work, I have now another issue using
> the TeX-doc command form Emacs' AucTeX mode. Normally after pressing
> 'C-c ?' I am prompted for the name of the package which doc I want to
> read and if it is available it's shown.
>
> While the texdoc command is working from the terminal, i.e. the
> documentation exists, AucTeX isn't able to find the documentation.
>
> Anybody else has experienced this behavior and knows a cure?

It sounds like your path is not getting set up properly in Emacs.
There is currently a long discussion about how to solve this in Carbon
Emacs on the Emacs on OSX mailing list:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx

The way I solve the problem is to start Emacs from the command line in
Terminal (by way of an alias). Since I do almost everything from the
command line, my shell environment is always certain to be correct,
and by starting Emacs this way it inherits the right path. The
discussion suggests a number of other options including creating an
environment.plist, adding some elisp to some .el files in Emacs.app,
and things you could put in your .emacs file.

Mark A