[OS X TeX] Word Count

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 18:51:03 EST 2007

On 1/15/07, Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2007, at 00:19, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

> > Am 15.01.2007 um 23:35 schrieb Jung-Tsung Shen:
> >
> >> I took a look at the WordService, it seems to be a good tool, the
> >> only
> >> problem is that it doesn't recognize (La)TeX commands, does it?
> >
> > Right, it does not.
> >
> > TeXShop uses detex to remove (La)TeX commands and then counts with
> > wc ...
>
> Counting words is a faq, see the bottom of each of the messages on
> this list (the tex.ac.uk one contains a good discussion of why this
> isn't easy). Pick one you think will approach your idea of a count
> the closest.
>
> Maarten

Maarten, thanks for the reply. The Faq has the following document:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=wordcount

Whether these two are the best ways, depends on each individual. In
fact, I personally would prefer a method that could be directly
invoked from within the texteditor of my choice, and also does not
involve saving a new file (see my original post).

JT