[OS X TeX] LaTeXit question

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 17 21:44:36 EST 2007

>	Hey all,
>
>	In the services menu, where I have a LaTeXit service, the
>first item is "Detect and typeset equations."  I've looked through
>the documentation, but it's sparse, and I can't quite figure out
>what it does.  I've selected text and used the service, but nothing
>seems to happen.  There seemed to be some suggestion that having the
>LTeXit output as PDF affected this in one forum I read, but I
>couldn't get any more information.

Two things: first, the service only works with certain applications
which support services.  It will work, e.g. with TextEdit (in RTF
mode).  I don't know off hand which other applications it works with.
(I assume Keynote and related iWork apps.)

Second, in order to detect equations, you need to wrap them in the
appropriate delimiters \[ ... \] or $$ ... $$ or $ ... $.  Select the
whole text, then choose Detect Equations and   LaTeXit will then
replace the equations with the relevant pdf output leaving the rest
of the text intact.

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu