[OS X TeX] help needed to install Adobe Euro fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jan 18 19:56:04 EST 2007

Le 18 janv. 07 à 22:55, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 18 janv. 07 à 21:47, André Bellaïche a écrit :
>
>> I can get regular, narrow, bold and bold narrow euros. I can also
>> get italic shapes. But I what should I do if some day, I need a
>> serif euro ? I can manage by myself, of course, but does it exist
>> some good package ?
>
> The eurosans package was designed (hence its name) to always select
> a sans euro shape independently from the surrounding font shape
> (serif, sans or monospaced). Apparently that's the official
> European recommendation.

Who is willing to obey a official European recommendation ? Everyone
of us is smarter (or thinks he is) than 27 heads of state together,
especially in typographical matters.

They had decided that euro and cent should be invariable nouns, and
the same in all languages. In France, everybody writes euros
(plural), centime, centimes. The only effect of this recommendation
is that banks are allowed to write euro and cent, without any mark of
plural in all the languages of the Union. This is a good thing for
international business, but people do not feel they have to comply
with it in everyday matters.

Same for the symbol. The Union decided there should be a universal
symbol, but all the people involved in typography, printing, etc.
agreed at once to have a Euro glyph as variable as a F was.

> I think the other packages eurofont and europs do adapt the euro
> shape to the surrounding font shape. eurofont seems a bit
> overcomplicated to me, but europs seems OK. Have you also tried
> eurosym? (I haven't.)
>
> Bruno

Well, eurosym is described in the LaTeX companion (French 2nd
edition) as giving "l'euro du pauvre", "poorman's euro". It is made
by adding two strokes to a capital C. The results range between the
unacceptable and the more or less correct. (Translated by me.) The
example they show for Courier is awful. End of eurosym.

Now all the Adobe euro fonts have been successfully installed, I
could try europs. The glyphs have been designed to match well with
Times, Helvetica, Courier. They do. But they do not match well with
cmr (cmr is too thin, or the EURtm glyph to thick).

So, I shalll use eurosans to match Helvetica Narrow, etc., europs for
ordinary text. If the texte is typeset with Helvetica Narrow, europs
does not take the initiative of calling the narrow version of the
euro glyph. To get it, you have to switch to \tt (make it believe you
use Courier).

André