[OS X TeX] Latin Modern fonts broken in the latest gwTeX i-Package

John Rawnsley J.Rawnsley at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 08:11:09 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 11:10, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 25 janv. 07 à 11:47, Franck Pastor a écrit :

>>> Looks like a mapping or encoding problem
>>
>> Well, I am not able to sort this out...
>
> Comparing very quickly my TeXLive-2007 setup, where your minimal
> example works, and my gwTeX seup, where it exhibits the same
> bahaviour as for you::
>
> - In TeXLive, updmap.cfg (in texmf-config) contains apparently one
> single LM-related line:
>
> Map lm.map
>
> corresponding to lm.map which says:
>
> % This is the global map file for the LM fonts. It includes all
> standard
> % maps except those meant for the replacement of CM, CS, PL and VN
> fonts.
>
> - In gwTeX, updmap.cfg (in texmf.local) contains several LM-related
> lines:
>
> Map lm.map
> Map lm-ec.map
> Map lm-qx.map
> Map lm-texnansi.map
> Map lm-ts1.map
> Map lm-t5.map
>
> It seems the interaction of the last 5, apparently superfluous,
> lines with the first line create the problem.
>
> I'm not sure where those superfluous lines come from: a
> misconfiguration of gwTeX as shipped, or a remnant of a previous
> installation of gwTeX which hasn't been erased by a more recent
> installation (given, I think, /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/web2c/
> updmap.cfg is essentially left unchanged by a new install). Since /
> usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, the default gwTeW
> updmap.cfg, does not contain the superfluous 5 lines, I think the
> answer is the second: a remnant of the previous organization of the
> LM map files.
>
> Whatever the cause, a possible cure is:
>
> sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lm-ec.map
> sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lm-qx.map
> sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lm-texnansi.map
> sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lm-ts1.map
> sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lm-t5.map
> sudo -H updmap-sys

I have a clean install of gwTeX and it just has lm.map.

If I pdflatex the minimal example I am told that lmmi10 and
lmex10 are missing. Locate in terminal tells the .pfb's are
present so there has to be a reason why they are not being used.

So I checked lm.map, and indeed these fonts do not have an entry.
I downloaded the lm.map from CTAN and it is 2K larger than the
one in gwTeX. Having replaced the gwTeX lm.map by the one on
CTAN and rerun the Configure stage of i-Installer, the problem
goes away for me.

John
--
  John Rawnsley | <http://go.warwick.ac.uk/jhrawnsley>