[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 15:52:50 EST 2007

Le 30 janv. 07 à 21:26, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> i.e., the first version has this empty code
>
> 	@ A4size 594.99bp 841.99bp
> 	@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
> 	@+ %%PaperSize: A4
>
> before
>
> 	@ a4 594.99bp 841.99bp
> 	@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
> 	@+ %%BeginPaperSize: a4
> 	@+ a4
> 	@+ %%EndPaperSize
>
> and the second version has them in the other sequence. This should
> not make any difference, because dvips usually picks (it should)
> the right block from config.ps and puts it into the PS output file.

The above seems consistent with the following comment in texconfig:

# setupDvipsPaper(paper)
#   rearranges config.ps to make paper the first paper definition

implying that "texconfig dvips paper PAPER" moves PAPER first in the
list of paper size specifications inside config.ps.

> So it seems to be necessary to run
>
> 	sudo texconfig-sys dvips paper $PAPER
> 	sudo texconfig-sys dvipdfm paper $PAPER
> 	sudo texconfig-sys pdftex paper $PAPER
>
> and to report dvips' obviously faulty behaviour in parsing the
> paper sizes section of config.ps. Texconfig won't change, would it?
> Could it? Who could it?

texconfig seems to also include provision for

	sudo texconfig-sys dvipdfmx paper $PAPER
	sudo texconfig-sys xdvi paper $PAPER

though I've no idea whether that's of any use.

Bruno