[OS X TeX] Named theorem

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:24:03 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
> > On 7/6/07, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> 2) I wanted to add the line but couldn't find amsthm.sty in
> >> aschremmer > library > texmf > tex > latex where all my style sheets
> >> are and Spotlight couldn't find it either (I am running gwtex
> >> installed with i-Installer on 10.4.9)
> >

> > It should not be there:
> >
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amscls/amsthm.sty
>
> Er, I don't have teTeX anymore. (I gave it up when I recently
> upgraded to 10.4. I am now using gwTeX.)

??? gwTeX as it was sometimes ago (based on tetex, depreciated)
creates the following system-wide trees

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local

to place tetex distributions, extras selected by GW and your system
administrator (you) places system wide. I am not sure what your
distribution is. Open terminal and type

% locate amsthm.sty

> > and copy it to your directory.
>
> I would be most grateful if you were to direct me to what I need to
> read in order to finally make sense of where things are. There were
> posts a few months ago but I had a hard time with them.

On UNIX (and MacOX is UNIX inside) there is a command locate. In
contrast to SpotLight it provides an info according to the latest
snapshot which could be done sometimes ago and may be never. Updating
database is done by

% sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

And Read The Friendly Manual:

% man locate

(not much to read)

> > I would even to place it into the same directory as a tex file.
> > Clearly this is uncivilized behavior, but then you would not forget to
> > include it when you send you paper to others. Remember that using
> > modified packages is problematic when you share tex files.
>
> Actually, I had thought of that.
>
> > Especially
> > if you work is supposed to be included in some collection which is to
> > be typeset as a whole (but this is the risky business anyway,
> > especially with the guys who load tons of packages)
>
> I can see that but I don't think this is going to be a problem here:
> this is the magnum opus, to be uploaded under an FDL. So, my
> preambles are all one-liners, i.e. MyPreamble.sty which is in
> aschremmer > library > texmf > tex > latex and which lists all the
> packages I use consciously plus a number of definitions and
> redefinitions, etc, etc. The ides then is to upload MyPreamble.sty
> along the magnum opus. I hope that this will work.

Yes, if it is standalone then there will be no problem (as long as you
remember to include everything)

PS: Once upon a time I was helping to my colleague with LaTeX (some
basic question but she sent the whole file anyway). There were three
coauthors and they simply dumped their  preambles in one bloody mess.
Still it worked! After this I began to believe in miracles :-)