[OS X TeX] Spotlight plug in

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:04:32 EDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:54 AM, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> Herb,
>>
>> You are right, it was not in /Library/Spotlight/. I put it there
>> and things are better.
>>
>> But not perfect. The .tex files are mixed in with the documents.
>>
>> Example: I introduced the concept of "pasting" in lattice theory.
>> I would like to find all my (.tex) paper where this concept is
>> used. Spotlight lists them in a huge list of "Documents" (826
>> entries), 95% of which is not .tex.
>>
>> Is there any way to get what I want?
>>
>> GG
>
> Howdy,
>
> There is a freeware system preference pane called BSP <http://
> www.end.com/BSP/> that allows you to create new categories in the
> Spotlight sort. I've made one for files that are searched via the
> TeX importer so .tex files end up in their own category.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Hi,

the most flexible way is still to use the command line: E.g., for
your search you could type
mdfind pasting | grep ".tex"

The "post-processing" with grep is quite useful for weeding out
unwanted file types. E.g., if you're looking for all files _except_
tex files, just say
mdfind pasting | grep -v ".tex"

And of course one can string together more complex things by
continuing the pipe (the "|" operator) - e.g., filter out files with
a certain name. Also, the command line mdfind provides the --onlyin
option, which helps if you already know which directory to search in.

Jens