[OS X TeX] hypenation of description list - need a hint or two

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Fri Jul 13 12:30:25 EDT 2007

I've been searching for a solution for the problem below but
apparently I haven't been searching in the right places. I would
be very grateful if someone could give me an hint of how to
solve this.

I've writing a paper and use the sig-alternate ACM two column
paper format, in one part of the paper I've got a list of descriptions

     \begin{description}
         \item[``Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet''] consectetuer
adipiscing elit.
             Integer mi dui, varius non, fermentum eget,
adipiscing in, odio. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Integer aliquet

         \item[``Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet''] consectetuer
adipiscing elit.
             Integer mi dui, varius non, fermentum eget,
adipiscing in, odio. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Integer aliquet

The problem is that when I typeset this the first item of almost
every line overflows (except those with a short item title),
something like this

     LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET consectetuer adipiscing elit <===
     Integer mi dui, varius non, fermentum eget, adipiscing
     in, odio. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et   magnis dis
     parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus     mus. Integer
     aliquet

I tried to hyphenate using the \- but it doesn't help
(hyphenation is turned on and works for the rest of the
document). I searched the FAQ and used Google but haven't
managed to find a solution, does anyone know?

                         jem
--
Jan Erik Moström, www.mostrom.pp.se