[OS X TeX] Re: graphics with xelatex

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:10:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

I decided to give tikz a chance but, not surprisingly!, I can even get
a simple axis done.

I started with the simplest example I could find and wrote a document like:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex (percetange, admiration, etc.)
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article} % say
\usepackage{tikz}
\begin{document}
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (-1.5,0) -- (1.5,0);
\draw (0,-1.5) -- (0,1.5);
\end{tikzpicture}.
\end{document}

If I compile it with LaTeX I can get the intended graphic. But I use
XeLaTeX (compiling with TeXShop, without opening the terminal) and
only get two scattered dots. I need to use XeLaTeX because my document
contains many examples in Arabic and other non-Latin scripts.

Jonathan mentioned I should use the xdvipdfmx output driver. I'm not
sure how to do this. Should I follow, say, the instructions in this
page? (I hope not):
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx/25935

If not, what is missing in my document?

Btw, I've downloaded the packages xkeyval, fp, (x)ifthen and xcolor
and unzipped them to my /Users/me/Library/texmf/tex/latex directory.

Thanks for your help, Manuel