[OS X TeX] i-installer packages

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Jul 20 17:10:15 EDT 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 16:49, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	A quick question.  I am using GW's i-installer set-up for my tex
> distribution, and it works perfectly well for me.  In a fit of
> drive-cleaning, however, I noted that the i-packages directory in my
> Documents folder is taking up about half a GB of space.
>
> 	Is there any/what harm is there in deleting the ipackages in that
> directory?

It will not influenced installed materials. But for deleting or
reconfiguring you need the i-Package. Also for automatic checking for
updates to the i-Package you need the i-Package itself.

The safest way to save room is:
	- open all the i-Packages (.ii2)
	- make them 'fat'
	- burn them + the i-Installer (.pkg) to CD
	- remove them from Documents or open them all and make them 'thin'
The i-Packages on CD are then usable without any internet connection.
This is also the way to make sure any update of the i-Package on the
internet can be ignored if you want to.

(just for old times sake and because I was for the first time in months
looking at the backlog in unread OS X TeX mailing list messages)