[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.10beta10

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 22:32:28 EDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 16:41, Roberto Avanzi wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2007, at 00:42, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>>
>> The memory leaks seem more serious than Ogrekit bugs or those
>> having to do with which window is active (although perhaps the
>> latter really is serious---the window is totally unusable?), as
>> well as the crashers.
>
> Apparently PDFKit is the root of all evil there -- this is
> not surprising since as a Path Finder beta tester I can assure
> you we had some rainy days because of PDF.  Currently, only
> Apple knows how to use it.

Having used PDFKit, I'd say that it's actually pretty simple, although
the Tiger version has some significant limitations, especially if
you're working with annotations.  The only crashing bug I know of in
PDFKit, though, is related to tooltips (if you reuse a PDFView
instance, you need to subclass it and override a private method), and
PDFOutline's design is very broken; we worked around these problems in
Skim.  An Apple engineer posted on the cocoa-dev mailing list that
it's been significantly rewritten and improved for Leopard.

> And even then, APPLE engineers can
> produce with apple software files that KILL PDFKit. Look at the
> The PDF presentation linked at the bottom of the page
>
> http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.html
>
> and scroll until page 22.  BOOM.

I don't have any problems viewing that PDF with Preview.app.  What
exactly goes "BOOM" for you?

--
Adam