[OS X TeX] PDFKit

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 3 23:17:42 EDT 2007

Folks,

OK, I'll jump in.

The statement "apparently PDFKit is the root of all evil" isn't mine.
I agree that it is generally easy to use. There is one interaction
between
PDFKit and TeXShop which I do not understand. I don't know who is
at fault.

As to page 22 of 2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.pdf, my experience agrees
with that of Roberto Avanzi and Adam M. Goldstein. I can crash Preview
with this page, not immediately, but after five seconds or so. I can
also
crash other apps.

However, I suspect that PDFKit is not to blaim because I can crash
TeXShop 1.49, which does not use PDFKit, but of course does use
Apple's PDF imaging software.

In the early days of PDF on Mac OS X, there were lots of
PDF glitches, which have now been fixed. In those days, PDFKit
did not exist. I had excellent interaction with Apple engineers solving
those problems. One of us needs to bring page 22 to Apple's attention
in case they don't know of it.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu