[OS X TeX] problem with \usepackage{times}

Raymond N. Greenwell matrng at hofstra.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:44:25 EDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 4:28 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 21 juin 07 à 09:07, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 21 Jun 2007, at 12:48 am, Raymond N. Greenwell wrote:
>>
>>> I recently got a new iMac and am now running OS 10.4.9. My old
>>> TeXShop from my old iMac (running 10.3.9) no longer worked, so I
>>> downloaded the TeXShop and TeX Live package MacTeX-2007, and I'm
>>> now running TeXShop 2.10beta8. All is well except for the command
>>> \usepackage{times}, which gives the error message: "*** font
>>> ptmr7t not found in psfonts.map or host system; will substitute
>>> Helvetica glyphs".
>>
>> This sounds like it's coming from the XeLaTeX engine; you must
>> have chosen this rather than regular LaTeX, and it is unable to
>> use the "virtual fonts" associated with the "times" (or
>> "mathptmx") packages, unless you also configure it to use the
>> xdvipdfmx output driver.
>>
>> Assuming you wanted standard LaTeX behavior, just be sure that is
>> the "engine" selected in the TeXShop menus.
>>
>> If you did want to try XeLaTeX, for access to more of your Mac's
>> fonts, then you should use the {fontspec} package to choose fonts,
>> rather than old-style packages like {times}. The fontspec
>> documentation (see fontspec.pdf in the texlive package; e.g.,
>> enter "texdoc fontspec" in the Terminal) gives lots of information
>> and examples.
>
> Another possibility you may have is related to encodings:
> \usepackage{times} or \usepackage{mathptmx} is not enough, you must
> load the package fontenc with appropriate option. See /Library/TeX/
> Documentation/texmf-dist-doc/latex/psnfss/psnfss2e.pdf.
>
> Specifically: use either
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \usepackage{mathptmx}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
> \usepackage{courier}
>
> or
>
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{mathptmx}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
> \usepackage{courier}
>
> Personally I favour the second variant.
>
> In order for this to work with XeLaTeX, you must take another
> precaution as Jonathan mentioned: use xdvipdfmx as the XDVI-to-PDF
> translator (XDVI -- extended DVI -- is XeTeX's native output
> format), instead of the default xdv2pdf. How to do this with TeXShop:
>
> - Move your old ~/Library/TeXShop/ elsewhere.
>
> - Launch TeXShop: it will create a new ~/Library/TeXShop/ afresh.
>
> - Quit TeXShop.
>
> - Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/ and move XeTeX-
> xdvipdfmx.engine and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine to ~/Library/TeXShop/
> Engines/.
>
> - Launch TeXShop again: in the Engines pull-down menu in the
> toolbar, there will be two new engines XeTeX-xdvipdfmx and XeLaTeX-
> xdvipdfmx.
>
> - Merge back any possible customization you might have done in the
> old ~/Library/TeXShop/ to the new one.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bruno Voisin

This suggestion worked (sort of)! I put in the commands
\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}
and text came out in Times!

Unfortunately, all is still not completely well. Math typing is now
messed up. For example, here is a simple file I ran:
\documentclass[10pt]{article}

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}

\begin{document}

This is a test.

$X\rightarrow Y$

$$z\to w$$

\end{document}

"This is a test" is in Times, but the math appears to be in
Helvetica, and the rightarrow (or "to") comes out as an exclamation
point. If I remove all the usepackage commands, everything is fine in
Computer Modern. I really want to have Times for the text that's not
in math, but with correct math typesetting, as I had in the earlier
version of TeXShop on my old machine.

Thanks to the other responders, but I was using LaTeX, not XeLaTex or
pdflatex, and I didn't add any fonts to my system after installing
MacTeX-2007.

Ray

Raymond N. Greenwell         matrng at hofstra.edu
Professor of Mathematics     (516) 463-5573
103 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549-1030
http://people.hofstra.edu/rgreenwell