[OS X TeX] problem with \usepackage{times}

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 21 14:16:18 EDT 2007

On 21 Jun 2007, at 5:44 pm, Raymond N. Greenwell wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 4:28 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>>> This sounds like it's coming from the XeLaTeX engine; you must
>>> have chosen this rather than regular LaTeX, and it is unable to
>>> use the "virtual fonts" associated with the "times" (or
>>> "mathptmx") packages, unless you also configure it to use the
>>> xdvipdfmx output driver.

> "This is a test" is in Times, but the math appears to be in
> Helvetica, and the rightarrow (or "to") comes out as an exclamation
> point. If I remove all the usepackage commands, everything is fine
> in Computer Modern. I really want to have Times for the text that's
> not in math, but with correct math typesetting, as I had in the
> earlier version of TeXShop on my old machine.
>
> Thanks to the other responders, but I was using LaTeX, not XeLaTex
> or pdflatex, and I didn't add any fonts to my system after
> installing MacTeX-2007.

Do you still get a message (as you originally cited, see above) of
the form "*** font <something> not found in psfonts.map or host
system; will substitute Helvetica glyphs"?

I am pretty confident that the only source of this message is the
output driver used by xelatex, and therefore this would indicate that
your TeXShop is (perhaps inadvertently) configured to use xelatex;
this in turn would account for the failure of certain font packages
(those that depend on "virtual fonts").

To confirm this, please check the first lines in the TeXShop console
output, where the program doing the actual typesetting (which is not
TeXShop itself but an underlying command-line tool) introduces
itself, with words such as
   "This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)"
or
   "This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)"
or similar.

JK