[OS X TeX] Underfull \vbox

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jun 24 13:33:49 EDT 2007

Le 24 juin 07 à 16:25, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> Does anybody know how to resolve in a good way the problem causing
> following warning in the output (and log) file:
>
> Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output is
> active [2]
>
> I only got that it is due to the location of  \section{...} about
> the end of a page and that LaTeX is outputting the section title at
> at the beginning of the next new page. But if I force the \section
> {...} on a new page by
>
> \newpage
> \section{...}
>
> the warning disappears.
>
> Is there a better solution? Is it just better to leave the warning
> without attempts to get rid of it?

I don't think you should worry about the warning, LaTeX seems to be
doing the right thing: moving the new section to the next page, even
if that means leaving a bit too much blank space on the previous page
than it would like too.

As always, you can also redefine LaTeX's standards, which would mean
with the article class changing the default from article.cls:

\newcommand\section{\@startsection {section}{1}{\z@}%
                                    {-3.5ex \@plus -1ex \@minus -.2ex}%
                                    {2.3ex \@plus.2ex}%
                                    {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}}

Here the second line defines spacing before a new section, with the
plus and minus quantities defining the amount of stretchable and
shrinkable space LaTeX can add and remove, respectively, in order to
abide by its criteria about how much vertical blank space is allowed
on a page.

You could try something like:

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\section}{\@startsection{section}{1}{0pt}%
   {-3.5ex plus .1\textheight minus .05\textheight}
   {2.3ex plus .05\textheight}%
   {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}}
\makeatother

Beware though: that might change page breaks significantly for the
whole of your document.

Bruno Voisin