[OS X TeX] Correction and Misc

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sat Mar 3 12:14:32 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Richard Koch wrote:
> Changing topics yet again (and maybe I'll get in trouble for that): MacTeX
> has simpdftex and also
> a modified version of this script by Jin-Hwan Cho called simpdftex_dpmx. The
> modified version
> can be used to call dvipdfmx instead of dvips + ps2pdf during typesetting.
>
> My email was out of kilter a couple of days ago, and I didn't see Cho's
> message
> to the list. Maybe I'll just repeat what he said. If you change "simpdftex
> latex --maxpfb" to
> "simpdftex_dpmx latex --maxpfb" in Preferences for various front ends,
> nothing will
> change because the old script is a subset of the new one. But if you add the
> flag
> "--dpx", then DVIPDFMx will be used, and if you add the flag "--dpm" then
> DVIPDFM will
> be used. So, just to be clear
>
> 	simpdftex latex --maxpfb    -->    simpdftex_dpmx  latex  --dpx
> --maxpfb
>
> will use DVIPDFMX instead of dvips _ ps2pdf.

I did the above, i.e., got in

TeXShop Preferences:

Engine
TeX + dvips + distiller
Latex Program (default: altpdflatex)
simpdftex_dpmx latex --dpx --maxpfb

Trying Typeset a tex file, I got a pop-up box telling:

/usr/texbin/simpdftex_dpmx does not exist. Perhaps TeXLive was not
installed or was removed during a system upgrade. If so, go to the TeXShop
web site and follow the instructions to (re)install TeXLive. Another
possibility is that a tool path is incorrectly configured in TeXShop
preferences. This can happen if you are using the fink teTeX distribution.

Also "which" does not find simpdftex_dpmx:

$ which simpdftex_dpmx
no simpdftex_dpmx in /Users/rosi/bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
/usr/texbin /usr/local/bin

Roussanka